The big game day is here and what do you feed an army of hungry people at your house? Loaded sweet potato skins! Most Superbowl snack foods are empty calories that leave you grazing all night only to still leave you hungry, but not this snack. They are filling not to mention full of fiber and just plain delicious. Make sure you bake up plenty of these because they go fast.
Why sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of vitamin A in the form of beta-carotene. They are also a very good source of vitamin C, manganese, copper, pantothenic acid and vitamin B6. Additionally, they are a good source of potassium, dietary fiber, niacin, vitamin B1, vitamin B2 and phosphorus. Your guest will never know how healthy they are by its deliciousness!
For the homemade cashew cheese to make:
- 1 ½ cup raw cashews
- ½ cup filtered water
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- ¼ cup white miso paste
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp salt
*Or you can buy it premade and blend it up in food processor. Kitehill has a great brand made with almonds and chives.
For the sweet potato:
- 10 small sweet potatoes
- 1 ½ cup cashew cheese
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 tomato chopped
- 5 green onions. sliced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed
- Beyond Beef crumbles
- Vegan sour cream
For the cashew cheese:
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until combined and smooth texture. Add more water as necessary to achieve desired consistency.
For the sweet potatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Bake for 45-60 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a knife, cut sweet potatoes lengthwise into two equal halves. Scoop out flesh, leaving a thin layer of sweet potato intact.
- Transfer sweet potato flesh to a medium mixing bowl and mash with cashew cheese until combined and smooth consistency.
- Scoop sweet potato/cashew cheese mixture back into the sweet potato skins. Bake again at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until skins are crispy and mixture is hot.
- Remove skins from oven and top with black beans, Beyond Beef crumbles, tomatoes, jalapeño, and green onions.
- Optional-Serve with vegan sour cream for dipping or dolloping.